While I was on vacation I got the chance to eat at a Chinese restaurant and the chicken sweet corn soup on the menu caught my attention. There were just so many things that I wanted to try that I did not end up ordering the sweet corn soup but I figured that I could make it at home. With the end of corn season within sight it was time to try making a sweet corn soup and this weekend I got the chance to. I went with a very simple version of the soup with garlic, ginger, green onions and soy sauce for flavour in addition to the corn and chicken and I could not resist adding a bit of heat in the form of a birds eye chili. One thing that I really like about many Chinese soups is the egg drop which adds a really amazing texture to the soup and makes it a bit more filling. I also added a touch of corn flour to thicken the soup up a bit. (If you prefer an even thicker soup, feel free to add more corn flour.) One thing that I find is quintessential about Asian cuisine is that aroma of toasted sesame oil so I added a few drops to the soup to finish it off. The sweetness of the corn plays really well with the salty soy sauce seasoning in this soup and it was a great way to enjoy some of the last of the fresh locally grown corn!
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 4 green onions (sliced and divided between whites and greens)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 1 birds eye chili (finely chopped, optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound chicken (boneless and skinless)
- 2 cups corn (freshly cut from the cob)
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- pepper to taste
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the whites of the green onion, garlic, ginger and chili and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the stock, chicken, corn, flour, soy sauce and pepper, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Fish out the chicken, shred it with a pair of forks and return it to the soup.
- Pour in the egg in a slow stream while stirring.
- Remove from heat, add the sesame oil and serve garnished with the greens of the green onions.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Sweat Corn Ice Cream
Chicken Noodle Soup
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Quick and Easy Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Egg Drop Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Chicken Pot Pie Soup