I first came across the concept of a sweet corn ice cream last year and it sounded really good. I would never have thought of a corn ice cream but I liked the idea of using corn in a sweet dish. The only problem was that I had just missed the local corn season. I bookmarked the recipe and I have been impatiently waiting to try it. Now that the local fresh sweet corn is here I finally got my chance to make it. The recipe is a bit interesting as the corn cob is simmered in the milk and cream to infuse it with even more corn flavour. The sweet corn ice cream was so good!! It was well worth the months of waiting. It was the creamiest ice cream that I have ever had and it was full of sweet corn flavour. Although I enjoyed the texture of the whole corn kernels in the ice cream I think that next time I will puree them so that I can enjoy the creaminess of the ice cream even more. I think I have a new favorite ice cream!
Sweet Corn Ice Cream
- 1 ear corn (kernels reserved, cut into 1 inch slices)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- Simmer the corn cob in the heavy cream and milk for 10 minutes.
- Remove the corn cob.
- Add the corn kernels and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Temper the egg yolks and add them along with the sugar and vanilla extract to the pan.
- Cook at low heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge.
- Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.