I still had a pumpkin that I had purchased before Halloween that looked like it needed to be used soon. I noticed that I had not yet put my ice cream maker away and so I was thinking maybe a pumpkin ice cream. I was also thinking about a pumpkin pie. In the end I decided to combine the two and make a pumpkin pie ice cream. I started with pretty much the same ice cream recipe that I have been using for most of my ice creams so far. I decided to replace the white sugar with brown sugar and I cut back a bit on the amount as I did not want this ice cream to be so sweet. I added some classic pumpkin pie spices and some freshly made pumpkin puree. The pumpkin pie ice cream turned out pretty good. It was nice and creamy and tasted like pumpkin pie. I garnished the pumpkin pie ice cream with caramel sauce and some crumbled gingersnap crust.
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Heat the cream, milk, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add one tablespoon of the cream mixture to the egg to temper it.
- Add the egg to the sauce pan.
- Cook at low heat without boiling, until it is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add pumpkin puree and stir.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge.
- Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.
Peter M says
A gorgeous ice cream. It looks like you added Turmeric to it!
what a great idea!!i havent heard of this ice cream yet.;but from the sound of it..it must be delicious and a healthy i guess so..an idea to make kids eat veggie right?? 🙂
Some conbination! What a fabulous colour it turned out! I will now steal your basic recipe!
Bellini Valli says
Pure genius Kevin!
Jen Yu says
Perfect. I have one cup of pumpkin puree in my fridge 🙂 Kevin, I love all of the recipes you try. You are quite the accomplished cook!
Patricia Scarpin says
Oh, Kevin. Your ice creams creations are always so good!
This sounds wonderful!! I may be making this!
yah!! Pumpkin ice cream!!
Kevin what a great way to bring a fall flavor to a cool dessert. Looks fabulous!
Oh my….I had to come over from Tastespotting and say "WOW!" This looks absolutely divine.
this recipe looks wonderful. definitely want to try it!
I just took this "ice cream" out of the ice cream maker.
It is not ice cream.
It is manna from heaven.