Yeah! Zucchini is in season! Zucchini is one of summers produce that I always look forward to; there are so many amazing zucchini recipes and this zucchini cheese bread is one of my favourites! Normally when I think about quick breads, including zucchini bread, I think about sweet rather than savoury but this cheddar cheese bread gives those sweet breads a run for their money! Quick breads are super easy to make, you simply mix the wet ingredients together, mix the dry ingredients together, mix the dry into the wet and bake! This is a pretty basic quick bread recipe with the main ingredients being shredded zucchini and plenty of cheddar cheese! I also like to add an herb to the mix and green onions are a great option with others being: chives, parsley, dill, rosemary, thyme, etc. I like to serve slices of this bread warm and topped with melting butter. Yum!
Zucchini Cheese Bread
A simple zucchini quick bread that’s bursting with cheddar cheese!
- 1 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded (do not squeeze)
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix the zucchini, green onions, eggs, sour cream, and butter well before mixing in the cheese.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and pour the batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.*
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50-70 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before running a knife around the inside edge of the pan, removing the loaf, slicing and enjoying topped with melted butter.
Option: Replace the sour cream with buttermilk (or milk) and squeeze as much extra liquid out of the zucchini as you can.
Option: Omit the green onions.
Option: Add one or more herbs like chives, parsley, dill, etc.
Option: Add 2 tablespoons parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) for even more cheese flavour!
Option: Use a different kind of cheese like gruyere!
Option: Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup shredded cheese on top of the batter before baking to have a nice cheese covered top!
Tip: I enjoy warming this bread up a little and slathering on butter to melt into it when serving! Yum!
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Bread with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
Blueberry Zucchini Pancakes
Honey Lemon Zucchini Pancakes
Avocado and Cheddar Corn Cakes
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa
Herbed Zucchini and Feta Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Zucchini and Green Chile Egg Breakfast Casserole
Corn and Zucchini Cheddar and Tomato Quiche
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Jalapeno and Cheddar Corn Pancakes with Bacon (aka Jalapeno Popper Pancakes)