Over the last few weeks the farmers market has been bursting with zucchini and it has been so cheap that I have been picking up a bunch of it every week. I have really been enjoying all of the fresh local zucchini and in particular I have been focusing on the grated zucchini, feta, and herb combination. So far I have made a raw salad and a Greek style phyllo pie with this combo and both turned out really well. While I was dreaming up the previous ideas it also occurred to me that a this combo would go well in a quiche. I pretty much just took the grated zucchini, feta and herb combo and mixed it into a quiche base including eggs and milk. Although a pastry crust would go well with this quiche I enjoyed the brown rice quiche crust that I made last time so much that I decided to use it again this time. The herbed zucchini and feta quiche with a brown rice crust was easy to make and it turned out great! The brown rice crust was slightly crispy on the outside and the slices held together well. I enjoyed the texture that the brown rice crust added to the quiche and it is not as guilty as a full butter pastry crust. The zucchini, feta and herb combo worked really well in the form of a quiche! The quiche was nice and light and moist and it was just packed with flavour. It is amazing how much flavour the feta, dill and mint bring to the table.
Herbed Zucchini and Feta Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup graviera (or gruyere, grated)
- 1 egg
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups zucchini (grated, squeezed and drained)
- 1/4 cup herbs (such as dill, mint, parsley, chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup feta (crumbled)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the rice, cheese and egg in a bowl.
- Press the rice mixture into a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in a preheated 450F/230C oven until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix the eggs, milk, zucchini, dill, mint, green onions, feta, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.
Kolokithopita (Greek Zucchini Pie)
Greek Style Zucchini Salad
Greek Style Zucchini Fritters
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
Zucchini and Kimchi Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Kolokythokeftedes (Zucchini and Feta Balls)
Zucchini and Green Chile Egg Breakfast Casserole
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus and Spinach Quiche
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Quiche
Jalapeño Popper Quiche
Zucchini and Feta Breakfast Casserole