Asparagus and eggs go well together and they can be used to make quite a few really good breakfast or brunch dishes and I have been making more than a few of them lately. Up next is a quiche and I could not let spring slip by without making at least one quiche with asparagus in it. I’ve done the asparagus and mushroom quiche quite a lot so I thought that it was time for a change and an asparagus and spinach quiche sounded like a good idea. With two healthy vegetables in there already I figured that it would be alright to add a bit of flavour in the form of some bacon and cheese. The last few times that I have made quiche, I have used a brown rice crust but this time I wanted to live a little more dangerously and I went with a full butter pastry crust . I had recently come across a quiche that was made in a spring-form pan rather than the more standard pie plate and I liked the sound of a ‘deep-dish’ quiche so I had to try making one. Though, I was a bit worried that the middle might not set too well so I did not increase the the volume of the filling by all that much. The ‘deep-dish’ asparagus and spinach quiche turned out really well! The eggs set nicely all the way through, the crust was nice and light and flaky and buttery good and the quiche was just packed with flavour! Another excellent way to enjoy asparagus and spring! The quiche leftovers heat up well in the microwave and the make for quick and tasty breakfasts on work days. (The next time that I make a ‘deep-dish’ quiche I will have to try making it truly deep-dish. It would be nice to see a two inch tall slice of quiche!)
Asparagus and Spinach Quiche
- 4 strips bacon (cut into 1 inch slices)
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic or ramps (chopped)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 2 cups spinach
- 6 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup gruyere (grated)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 batch pastry dough (chilled)
- Cook the bacon in a pan and set aside retaining a tablespoon of the grease.
- Add the asparagus to the pan and saute until just tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and green onions and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the spinach and cook it until it wilts.
- Roll out the dough and fit it into a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Mix the eggs, milk, cheese, vegetables, bacon, salt and pepper and pour it into the spring form pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 25-45 minutes.
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
Asparagus, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Egg Breakfast Casserole
Herbed Zucchini and Feta Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus, Baby Artichoke, Pesto and Goat Cheese Quiche with Quinoa Crust