I don’t know what it is about spring and asparagus but at this time of year I always seem to think about asparagus quiches which I never tire of and I always love experimenting with. This year was no different and I wanted to try something a little different, a quinoa crust instead of the more standard all butter pie crust . Up until recently my favourite crust for quiches has been a brown rice pie crust and I figured that quinoa should work equally as well as a pie crust. The quinoa pie crust is pretty easy to make and all you need to do is cook some quinoa, mix in an egg and some cheese as binders and pre-bake the crust until golden brown before continuing with your quiche recipe as normal. For this quiche I had to go with the asparagus which had been on my mind, along with baby artichokes and I flavoured the quiche with a healthy dose of fresh homemade basil pesto and some creamy and tangy goat cheese. This asparagus, baby artichoke, pesto and goat cheese quiche may take a bit of time to make but it is well worth it and it definitely makes for one impressively tasty weekend breakfast or brunch! With the quinoa crust and the use of milk rather than heavy cream you can enjoy this healthy quiche with little or no regret!
I like to arrange a few asparagus spears and artichoke hearts on top for presentation.
Just look at that golden brown and crispy quinoa crust!
The basil pesto adds plenty of flavour and definitely makes this quiche scream of spring!
Asparagus, Baby Artichoke, Pesto and Goat Cheese Quiche with Quinoa Crust
A quiche with a quinoa crust that is filled with spring asparagus, artichokes, basil pesto and goat cheese.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated (optional)
- 4 baby artichokes, quartered or chopped
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer, covered, until tender and most of the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the leaves from the artichokes until you get to the paler tender inner leaves, cut the top third off and discard, quarter the artichoke hearts and set aside in lemon water.
- Mix the quinoa, egg and parmesan and press into the bottom of a pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute or steam the artichoke hearts and asparagus until just tender and set aside.
- Mix the artichokes, asparagus, eggs, milk, pesto and goat cheese and pour into quinoa crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.
Asparagus and Baby Artichoke Quinoa Salad
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus and Spinach Quiche
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Roasted Cauliflower, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche with Quinoa Crust
Spinach and Artichoke Egg Muffins
Asparagus Pesto and Ricotta Stuffed Shells