With some of the heavier meals that I have been having recently I was looking for something lighter for breakfasts this week. When I am looking for lighter breakfasts, egg casseroles often some to mind and this time I was thinking of something more along the lines of a quiche. Broccoli is another one of my favorite green vegetables available during the winter and I had been wanting to use it in something so I decided that a broccoli quiche was the way to go. Of course the natural combo of broccoli and cheese came to mind and I was immediatly thinking about broccoli and cheddar soups and broccoli and cheddar gratins and why not a broccoli and cheddar quiche? Although I really enjoy nice and light and flaky all butter pastry crusts with my quiche, this time I decided to go with another really nice crust, a brown rice crust. The brown rice crust is essentially just some cooked brown rice along with some cheese and an egg for binders. The brown rice crust is bre-baked for a bit and then it gets a little crispy when it bakes with the filling in it and it holds together quite nicely. One of the things that I really like about breakfasts like quiches is that they keep well in the fridge and the leftovers just need a few minutes in the microwave and you have a warm and tasty breakfast suitable for a busy work day morning.
Note: I used a nice sharp and strong cheddar cheese in this recipe and if you are using a milder one you may want to double the amount that you use.
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (finely grated)
- 1 egg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups broccoli (cut into bite sized pieces and blanched)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the rice, cheese and egg in a bowl.
- Press the rice mixture into a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in a preheated 450F/230C oven until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix the eggs, milk, broccoli, cheese and green onions in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
Herbed Zucchini and Feta Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa
Asparagus, Baby Artichoke, Pesto and Goat Cheese Quiche with Quinoa Crust