One of my favourite side dishes has to be cheesy broccoli rice which is a quick and easy dish where with the amazing broccoli and cheddar cheese flavour combo! Ever since I discovered quinoa I have been trying my favourite rice dishes with the rice replaced with the healthier quinoa and it was finally time to try a cheesy broccoli quinoa! This dish is super easy to make and you pretty much just cook the quinoa with the broccoli and then mix in the cheese once the quinoa and broccoli are cooked. Some of the things that I like about this recipe are that it is a one pot dish and that it is a stove top dish which is great for holiday dinners where there never seems to be enough oven space or time. I think I now have a new favourite side dish!
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
The classic cheese and broccoli combo served in quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the quinoa, broth and broccoli to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes, before letting sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with salt and pepper.