Caprese salads are such a beautiful expression of summer with their combination of juicy ripe tomatoes, soft mozzarella, fresh basil and a hit of tangy-sweet balsamic vinegar! I am always thinking about new ways to enjoy some of my favourite flavour combos and I could not help but think that a breakfast egg casserole, aka frittata, would be a great way to have a caprese salad for breakfast! A frittata is an egg based casserole similar to a quiche except that it is crustless and it is cooked on the stove top until most of the eggs are set before being transferred to the oven to finish things off with a nice lightly golden brown top! For this caprese frittata you start out by roasting some tomatoes in a pan until they are slightly charred and starting to caramelize before adding the eggs mixed with plenty of basil, pesto and large chunks of mozzarella! I really like biting into the large chunks of creamy melted mozzarella and the tomatoes just burst in your mouth! Breakfasts will never be the same this summer with this caprese frittata on the table!
A caprese salad inspired frittata with roasted tomatoes, mozzarella basil, pesto and a balsamic reduction drizzle!
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 4 ounces mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/4 cup basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the tomatoes and cook until they just start to blister and caramelize, about 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute
- Add the mixture of the eggs, milk, cheeses, pesto, basil, salt and pepper, pour into the pan and cook until the eggs are almost set, about 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a preheated 400F/200C oven and bake until the top is a nice light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, simmer the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat until it has deuced by about 1/2, about 5 minutes.
Pesto Caprese Omelette
Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole
Asparagus and Artichoke Breakfast Casserole
Parmesan Crusted Pesto Tilapia Bruschetta
Bruschetta Chicken Pesto Tart
Pesto Grilled Shrimp Caprese Quesadillas
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Diced Caprese Salad
Balsamic Roasted Tomato Caprese Sandwich
Balsamic Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad
Creamy Pesto Caprese Pasta Casserole
Pesto Zucchini Fritters with Caprese Bruschetta Topping
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Roasted Tomatoes and Grilled Chicken
Caprese Stuffed Avocados
Strawberry Caprese Stuffed Avocados with Pistachio Pesto
Herbed Zucchini and Feta Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Roasted Cauliflower, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche with Quinoa Crust
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Quiche
Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Sage
Jalapeño Popper Quiche
Zucchini and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus and Spinach Quiche
Zucchini and Kimchi Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Egg Muffins
Balsamic Caprese Baked Chicken