The farmers market has been overflowing with zucchini lately. They have so much that they are quite literally giving it away! This weekend when I picked up some zucchini at the farmers market they threw in a few extra as I paid. The question was: What was I going to do with all of this unexpected extra zucchini? The first thing that came to mind was a zucchini bread which is always a nice and easy way to use some zucchini. This time however I wanted to try a chocolate version of the zucchini bread. I pretty much just took my standard zucchini bread recipe and added cocoa powder. I kept the walnuts in the bread and added some chocolate chips for even more chocolaty goodness. The chocolate zucchini bread was as easy to make as mixing the ingredients and baking and it turned out wonderfully. I could not resist slicing the bread and trying a piece before it had cooled down from the oven. The chocolate chips were still melted from baking and the bread was nice and light and moist and good! One of the things that I like most about making quick breads like this is that now I will have quick and easy breakfasts for the rest of the week.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini (grated, squeezed and drained)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Mix the zucchini, sugar, oil, yogurt and egg in a bowl.
- Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Mix in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased 5X9 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 50-70 minutes.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Bread with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Cheese Bread