I always enjoy a nice bowl of chicken noodle soup but I also like to change things up and this time I decided to turn one of my favourite pub foods, butter chicken curry, into a butter chicken noodle soup! This recipe is nice and quick and easy! The soup has a creamy tomato based broth with chicken, preferably tandoori chicken, noodles, veggies and of course curry seasonings. Butter chicken, as it’s name implies, is buttery and creamy and typically you would get that creaminess with plenty of butter and heavy/whipping cream but to keep things lighter I replaced a lot of that with cashew milk (almond milk would be just as good) and greek yogurt which adds an extra layer of flavour as well as making the soup so nice and creamy. The curry is typically served on rice so I went with rice noodles and I wanted to have some vegetables so I added baby spinach and peas. The final resulting butter chicken noodle soup was amazingly tasty and the flavours and textures were a perfect reminder of butter chicken curry!
Feel free to skip the veggies if you like!
Butter Chicken Noodle Soup
A chicken noodle soup with flavours inspired by butter chicken curry! This butter chicken noodle soup is so nice and creamy and it’s kept light by the use of cashew milk and greek yogurt!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound cooked chicken or tandoori chicken
- 6 ounces rice noodles
- 5 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 3/4 cup cashew milk or almond milk or heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, while stirring, about a minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, add the noodles and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, peas and fenugreek leaves and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove from yea and mix in the cashew milk, cream, yogurt, garam masala, cilantro and season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
Chicken Noodle Soup
Butter Chicken Poutine
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Thai Peanut Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Salmon Noodle Soup
Butter Chicken Burritos
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Pot Pie Soup