After watching Rob Rainford grilling up a storm Monday night, I had the itch to do some grilling as well. When I scanned through my ‘to try’ list the first thing to jump out at me was tandoori chicken. Tandoori chicken is an Indian roasted chicken dish where the chicken is marinated in a spicy yogurt that is seasoned with masala and chili peppers. I don’t know what it is about meat on a stick but it certainly is one of my favorite ways to grill up some chicken and I figured that a skewered, grilled, chicken tandoori would be really good. I went with a pretty simple recipe adding some fresh lemon, onion, garlic and ginger to the yogurt followed by some spices including a homemade garam masala and some ceyenne pepper and hot and smoky paprika to add some heat and to give it the traditional red colouring. After letting the chicken marinate over night I pulled it out of the fridge and when I opened the bag up I just had to pause for a moment to enjoy the amazing aromatics. The chicken grilled up quickly and it was nice and juicy and full of flavour and oh so good! You can eat this tasty tandoori chicken as is, as a part of a larger meal or you could use it in a wrap or even in a curry like chicken tikka masala.
Grilled Tandoori Chicken
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1/2 small onion (grated)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (grated)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I used hot smoked)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon ceyenne pepper (or to taste)
- salt to taste
- 1 pound chicken (boneless and skinless, but into 1 inch pieces)
- Mix all of the ingredients save the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a freezer bag along with the marinade and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably several hours to overnight.
- Pull the chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and skewer it.
- Grill the chicken until cooked, about 3-5 minutes per side.
Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
Tandoori Chicken Melt
Tandoori Chicken Quesadillas
Butter Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Dakkochi (Korean Skewered Chicken)
Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
Moroccan Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Bacon BBQ Chicken Skewers
Balsamic Garlic Grilled Mushroom Skewers
Za’atar Grilled Chicken
Pesto Grilled Chicken, Zucchini and Tomato Skewers
Skillet Chicken Satay
Chicken Tikka Masala
Peri Peri Grilled Chicken Skewers