With all of the summer grilling that I have been doing I could not resist taking the opportunity to update the photos for one of my favourite dishes, chicken satay! Chicken satay (aka chicken sate) is an Indonesian or Southeast Asian dish where chicken is seasoned, skewered, grilled and served with a sauce, often a peanut sauce. I like to marinate the chicken in a combination of coriander, cumin, turmeric, lemongrass, garlic, galangal, lime, chilies, fish sauce, and palm sugar with the turmeric giving it that gorgeous yellow colour. Other than being so quick and easy to make, not to mention being tasty, another reason that chicken sate is one of my favourites is that it’s served with a peanut sauce for dipping, and peanut sauce has to be one of the most amazing foods ever! This chicken satay is perfect for snacking on, right off of the stick or as part of a meal!
Updated: Aug 16, 2020
Baste the grilled chicken up in peanut sauce!
I like to grill up some pineapple at the same time!
Quick and easy grilled chicken skewers marinated in a tasty satay marinade! Perfect with peanut sauce for dipping!
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 stalks lemongrass, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 1 tablespoon galangal (or ginger), grated
- 1 lime, zest juice
- 1 bird’s eye chili, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- * wooden skewers (soaked in cold water for 30 minutes)
- Mix the coriander, cumin, turmeric, lemongrass, garlic, galangal, lime zest, lime juice, chili, fish sauce, sugar and oil, and marinate the chicken in it for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Skewer the chicken and grill it over medium-high heat, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Option: Use a food processor to mix the marinade!
Option: Serve with peanut dipping sauce!
Chicken Satay Quesadillas with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Thai Grilled Chicken Satay Salad
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
Spicy Peanut Chicken Rice Bowl
Moroccan Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Roasted Cauliflower Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Moo Satay (Pork Satay) with Curried Peanut Sauce
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Thai Peanut Turkey Burger
Grilled Tandoori Chicken
Shrimp Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Thai Chicken ‘Mole’
Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
Chicken Satay Burgers
Spicy Peanut Chicken Quesadillas
Thai Peanut Chicken Saute
Pesto Grilled Chicken, Zucchini and Tomato Skewers
Thai Lemongrass Chicken and Avocado Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
Skillet Chicken Satay
Thai Peanut Chicken Buddha Bowls
Thai Grilled Steak Salad
Lemongrass Grilled Chicken