I had been craving some Thai style spicy peanut sauce lately and I had a few ideas on what I could do with it. The peanut sauce is a super tasty sauce that is made with a Thai red curry paste and peanut butter at its base. The curry paste adds a ton of flavour in addition to some spicy heat which is perfectly balanced by aspects of saltiness, sourness, and sweetness in the sauce creating something that is truly amazing and oh so addictive! I figured that I would make a big batch of it to enjoy and do a bit of experimenting during the week.
The first thing on my list of things to use the peanut sauce with was shrimp satay that is accompanied by some of the sauce for dipping. The shrimp is marinated in a marinade that has a ton of flavour and then skewered and grilled to perfection. If you make the sauce ahead of time and the shrimp is already marinated and skewered then it only takes a few minutes from pulling everything out of the fridge until you are enjoying dipping that grilled shrimp into the spicy peanut sauce and licking your fingers clean! Given that everything can be prepared ahead of time, this is a great appetizer for when entertaining company.
Shrimp Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (toasted and ground)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (ground)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (peeled & chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 tablespoon galangal (or ginger, grated)
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (grated or brown sugar)
- 1 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- * wooden skewers (soaked in cold water for 30 minutes)
- 1/4 cup peanut sauce
- Mix the coriander, cumin, turmeric, lemongrass, garlic, galangal, lime, fish sauce and sugar in a food processor.
- Marinate the shrimp in the marinade for up to 4 hours.
- Skewer the shrimp and grill until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with peanut dipping sauce.
Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Tom Yum Grilled Shrimp
Chipotle Lime Shrimp
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Grilled Coconut and Pineapple Sweet Chili Shrimp
Teriyaki Grilled Shrimp and Pineapple
Skillet Chicken Satay
Cajun Butter Garlic Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce