I cannot believe that it has been over two months since I last shared a new grilled cheese recipe with you! I was beginning to feel like I had been going through grilled cheese withdrawal and including the guacamole grilled cheese in the avocado roundup yesterday brought it all flooding in! I am a huge fan of Thai style peanut sauces and I had been wanting to use some in a grilled cheese sandwich for a long time now! The initial idea for the sandwich was inspired by chicken satay which is commonly served with a peanut sauce for dipping and although it sounded really good, I couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something missing. The thing that was missing was of course cool and creamy avocado which really brings this grilled cheese home! The chicken satay melt is finished off with some fresh cilantro and sriracha hot sauce because I like it spicy! I have to say that this spicy peanut chicken grilled cheese sandwich exceeded all of my expectations and it has quickly rocketed to the upper levels in my list of all time favourite grilled cheese sandwiches! I can’t wait to make another!
Oooey gooey melted cheese and spicy peanut sauce are a match made in heaven!
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
A chicken satay inspired grilled cheese sandwich with Thai style spicy peanut sauce, slices of creamy avocado and plenty of melted cheese.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or 2 slices), room temperature
- 1/4 cup chicken satay (see next) (or cooked chicken), sliced or shredded, warm
- 2 tablespoons spicy peanut sauce (see next)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, torn
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan buttered side down, sprinkle on half of the cheese, then top with the chicken, spicy peanut sauce, avocado, cilantro, sriracha and the remaining cheese followed by the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill in a pan, preheated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Thai Spicy Peanut Chicken Enchiladas
Spicy Peanut Chicken Quesadillas
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Chicken Gyro Grilled Cheese (aka The Gyro Melt)
Banh Mi Grilled Cheese
Thai Peanut Chicken Saute
Thai Peanut Chicken Avocado Burritos
Bacon and Avocado Monte Cristo Sandwich with Jalapeno Jelly
Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken Sweet Potato Boats
White BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich