A Monte Cristo is a fried ham and cheese sandwich that is dipped in an egg batter before frying and it often comes in a sweet version where strawberry or raspberry jam or powdered sugar is served on top of the savoury sandwich. When I made the jalapeno jelly I could not help but think about what kinds of sandwiches it would be good in and the monte cristo was the first thing that came to mind and I was convinced that a bacon and avocado monte cristo sandwich with jalapeno jelly was the way to go! This sandwich is pretty simple to make where you just cook the bacon, assemble the sandwich with bread, cheese, bacon, avocado and jalapeno jam before dipping it in a french toast style egg milk batter and pan frying it until the cheese has melted and the bread is nice and golden brown and crispy. This sandwich has an amazing blend of sweet and savoury along with a spicy kick and it’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner! I like to top these bacon and avocado monte cristo sandwiches with jalapeno jelly off with a fried egg with a runny yolk, croque madame or croque monsieur style!
Top with a fried egg with a runny yolk!
Bacon and Avocado Monte Cristo Sandwich with Jalapeno Jelly
A crispy golden brown french toast style sandwich filled with crispy bacon, cool and creamy avocado, sweet and spicy jalapeno jelly and plenty of oozy gooey melted cheese!
- 4 strips bacon (omit for vegetarian)
- 4 slices bread
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno jelly
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Assemble the sandwiches by sprinkling half of the cheese over half of the slices of bread followed by the bacon, avocado and jalapeno jelly, the remaining cheese and slices of bread.
- Dip the sandwiches in the mixture of the milk to coat the bread on both sides before transferring to a pan pre-heated over medium heat to cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Enjoy as is or topped with more jalapeno jelly, powdered sugar, etc.
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Maple Syrup
Baklava French Toast
Bacon Jam and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
Cranberry and Brie Turkey Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Bacon
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich (with Bacon)
Pesto Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich