Up next for grilled cheese month I bring you a grilled cheese sandwich inspired by caramel apples! That combo of tart juicy apples with sweet caramel sauce is simply irresistible and the the sweet and savoury apple and cheddar combo is not too far behind so why not combine the two? This sandwich is really easy to make, simply combining cheddar cheese, sliced apples and caramel sauce in a grilled cheese! The one caveat about this sandwich is that fresh apple slices tend to pop out of it when you eat it but you can alleviate this by sauteing the apples a bit to tenderize them first. It really comes down to whether you prefer the crisp apples or the ease of eating the sandwich but either way you are in apple, caramel and ooey gooey melted cheddar heaven. Although the caramel apple grilled cheese sandwich is amazing all by itself, you can make it even more decadent by adding bacon; where the salty bacon balances the tart apple and sweet caramel sauce nicely.
You can use store bought caramel sauce but homemade caramel sauce is so easy to make and it keeps in the fridge for months so you can have some around for when you want it.
Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich (with Bacon)
Tart apples in a bed of melted cheddar cheese and sweet caramel sauce along with salty bacon all wrapped up in warm buttery and toasty bread.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices cheddar (or 1/2 cup shredded)
- 1/2 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce
- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and cooked (optional)
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the apple, caramel sauce, bacon, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Option: Serve with extra caramel sauce for dipping along with a few apple slices.
Apple Pie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Apple Cinnamon Swirl Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple Chutney
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts
Caramelized Apple and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Apple and Cheddar Tart
Apple and Cheddar Quiche
Balsamic Roasted Cherry, Dark Chocolate and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Apple, Cheddar and Bacon Fritters in Caramel Sauce
Creamy Maple Brie and Cheddar Apple Soup
Bacon and Avocado Monte Cristo Sandwich with Jalapeno Jelly