We had a few really nice warm days this week but its back to cold ones for the weekend. Those warm days got me to thinking that spring would soon be here and that I should start cleaning out all of these winter supplies. At the top of the list was the apples which have been ever present in my fridge since winter started and I knew just how to use some of them. Ever since I made the
caramelized apple and cheddar omelette with bacon and candied walnuts
I have been thinking about a version that uses gorgonzola rather than cheddar. The creamy and tangy blue cheese goes just as well if not better with sweet and tart apples as the cheddar and this was the perfect time to try it out for a nice weekend breakfast. The gorgonzola version of the caramelized apple omelette was amazing! I would be hard pressed to choose a winner between the two and you really could not go wrong with either. What a great start to the weekend!
Caramelized Apple and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 granny smith apple (cored and sliced into big chunks)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 1 strip bacon (cooked and crumbled, optional)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon pecans (toasted and chopped)
- Add the sugar and cook until bubbly minutes.
- Add the apple and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and and sprinkle on the cheese and bacon and let the cheese melt just a bit.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and let them cook without disturbing them until they have set, about 2-4 minutes.
- Slide the omelette out onto a plate and garnish it the pecans and enjoy.
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Granny Smith Apple and Gorgonzola Pizza
Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Omelette with Gorgonzola and Sage
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Omelette Topped with Marinara Sauce
Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich (with Bacon)