I have never really been all that big on omelettes but with my recent success with the
butternut squash and gorgonzola omelette
I was ready for more! With the gorgonzola still on my mind I naturally started to drift into the ‘What else goes with gorgonzola?’ question and my first answer was pears. A quick search of the internet did not pull up anything that inspired me, but while I was searching I thought that pears also work really well in caramel sauce. Wait a minute! Could I possible dare trying a sweet and savoury caramelized pear omelette with gorgonzola as a breakfast??? With the idea in my head I could not resist making it! While thinking about it some more I decided to add bacon to strengthen the savoury side a bit and with pears, why not add some pecans? The caramelized pear and gorgonzola omelette with bacon and pecans surprised me by being even better than I could possibly have imagined in my wildest dreams! The sweet pear and caramel when so well with the tangy gorgonzola and salty bacon. The best part of this omelette was the areas where the caramel and melted gorgonzola had melded with the warm, light and fluffy eggs infusing them with their flavours. Each bite was a mixture of pure delight alternating from sweet to savoury and back again and I could not resist licking my plate clean to get every last bit. I will definitely be making omelettes a lot more often from now on!
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pear (cored and sliced into big chunks)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola
- 1 strip bacon (cooked and crumbled, optional)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon pecans (toasted and chopped)
- Melt the butter in a none stick pan.
- Add the sugar and cook until bubbly minutes.
- Add the pear and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and and sprinkle on the crumbled gorgonzola and bacon and let the cheese melt just a bit.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and let them cook without disturbing them until they have set, about 2-4 minutes.
- Slide the omelette out onto a plate and garnish it with the pecans and enjoy.
Caramelized Apple and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts
Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Omelette with Gorgonzola and Sage
Pear Salad with and Bacon, Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts
Pear and Gorgonzola Risotto
Mushroom and Thyme Omelette with Gorgonzola
Mushroom, Spinach and Feta Omelet
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Omelette
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Quiche
Pear and Gorgonzola Tart
Gorgonzola Cheesecake with Vanilla Pear Compote
Caramelized Pear, Chocolate and Goat Cheese Smoothie