I recently came across the idea of a savoury blue cheese cheesecake in an issue of Food & Drink magazine and I was immediately taken by the idea! I am a huge fan of cheesecake and I had never even thought about trying a savoury cheesecake let alone one made with a blue cheese! It sounded so amazingly good that I had to try it. As soon as I saw the blue cheese cheesecake I knew right away that I would be trying it with gorgonzola which is my favourite blue cheese.
This recipe is really simple and I had my cheesecake in the oven in almost no time at all. Shortly after I got the cheesecake in the oven my apartment filled up with the amazing aroma of baking gorgonzola! By the time that I pulled it out of the oven I could barely restrain myself from digging in right away and at least letting it cool a bit.
Tangy gorgonzola goes really well with the sweetness of pears and I could not resist using this classic flavour combination by topping the cheesecake with a vanilla pear compote in a thick fruity syrup. I served the gorgonzola cheesecake on a bed of peppery arugula and garnished everything with some chopped toasted walnuts and jewel like crimson pomegranate. The savoury gorgonzola cheesecake was fantastic! It was just packed with flavour and the sweet an juicy pear compote was the perfect foil to balance things out. If only I had discovered savoury cheesecakes earlier! Now it is time to experiment with them some more!
Note: The recipe for this savoury cheesecake perfectly portioned for two as a light meal when made in a pair of four inch spring form pans. You could also make this recipe as more of an appetizer if you used a muffin pan.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces gorgonzola (or other blue cheese, crumbled)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until smooth.
- Mix in the sour cream and gorgonzola.
- Pour the mixture into 2 4 inch springform pans (or 8 holes in a muffin pan).
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until set, about 20-30 minutes minutes.
Vanilla Pear Compote
- 2 bartlett or bosc pears (peeled, cored and cut into pite sized pieces)
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoon sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
- 1/2 vanilla bean (split and scraped)
- Place enerything in a small sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the pears are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pears and set aside.
- Increase the temperature and simmer to reduce to a syrupy texture.
- Mix the pears back into the syrup.
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Quiche
Pear and Gorgonzola Tart
Pear Salad with and Bacon, Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Pear and Gorgonzola Risotto
Pear Kimchi and Blue Cheese Salad
Caramelized Pear, Chocolate and Goat Cheese Smoothie