I have been on quite the roll with omelettes lately and I was ready for more. This time I was thinking about a mushroom omelette with some caramelized onions. I really enjoyed the way that the gorgonzola worked in the last two omelettes so I could not leave that out, especially not when gorgonzola goes so well with mushrooms. I wanted a bit of green in there and I was thinking that it would be nice if it was in herb form and thyme naturally fit the bill. Normally when cooking mushrooms I like to slice them and saute them until they are nice and caramelized but I had liked the way that previous omelettes had large pieces of the main ingredient popping out from beneath the eggs so I decided to quarter the mushrooms and only saute them briefly so they would stay nice and large. The omelette was super easy to make and it turned out great! The meaty mushrooms went well with the sweet caramelized onions and the tangy gorgonzola and the thyme finished everything off nicely. Once again I really enjoyed the way that the gorgonzola melted and mingled with the soft and warm eggs infusing them with flavour! This omelette really hit the spot for a weekend breakfast!
Mushroom and Thyme Omelette with Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 small clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 4 ounce mushrooms (quartered)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Melt the butter in a none stick pan.
- Add the onions and caramelize them slowly, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Lower the heat and and sprinkle on the crumbled gorgonzola and let it melt just a bit.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and let them cook without disturbing them until they have set, about 2-4 minutes.
- Slide the omelette out onto a plate and garnish it with more thyme and enjoy.
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Omelette with Gorgonzola and Sage
Mushroom, Spinach and Feta Omelet
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Omelette
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts
Spinach and Feta Omelette