It had been way too long since I last had a
fix and I was still remembering that
mushroom melt sandwich
that I made a while ago. Thinking about that ooey gooey melted cheese made me think about another of my favorite foods,
. Quesadillas at their base are two tortillas filled with cheese and they are toasted until the tortillas are nice and golden brown and crispy and the cheese has melted. To the basics of the tortillas and the melted cheese you can add anything that you want and the cheese works really well at holding everything together. I could not believe that I had not yet tried a mushroom quesadilla and that had to be rectified immediatly! I pulled out some mushrooms and onions and sauteed them until they were nice and caramelized and good and I seasoned them with some garlic and thyme. I then deglazed the pan with a splash of white wine to make sure that I got all of the caramelized bits of pure flavour from the bottom of the pan and it was time to make the quesadilla. The mushroom quesadillas were so good! Caramelized mushrooms go so well with melted cheese and the warm toasted tortilla wrapping was the perfect way to enjoy them. The next time I make these, and I will definitely be making them again, I will have to try using some gorgonzola cheese for a bit of tangy creaminess.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 small onion (sliced)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons white wine (or broth)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped, optional)
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese (grated)
- 2 tortillas
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and saute until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, deglaze the pan and saute until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix in the parsley.
- Melt a touch of butter in a pan.
- Place a tortilla into the pan, swirl it around in the butter and repeat with the second tortilla.
- Sprinkle a handful of cheese on the tortilla followed by the mushrooms and onions and top with the remaining cheese and finally the other tortilla.
- Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.
Option: Replace the fontina with another melty cheese like mozzarella, swiss, monterrey jack, etc.
Tip: Place a plate onto the quesadilla and flipped it from the pan to the plate and then slide it back into the pan to flip the quesadilla.
Roast Asparagus and Caramelized Mushroom Quesadillas with Goat Cheese
Mushroom and Thyme Omelette with Gorgonzola
Mushroom and Prosciutto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Strudel with Balsamic Syrup
Roast Beef Quesadillas
Spinach and Feta Quesadillas
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
Mushroom and Zucchini Enchiladas