With the holidays quickly approaching my days have been busy and I have been looking for quick, easy and light meals. When I think about quick and easy meals one of the first things that always comes to mind are sandwiches and recently I have been enjoying playing around with grilled cheese sandwiches stuffed with more than just the cheese. I have not have a mushroom fix in a while and I had been craving them! The two ideas collided to form something magical in my mind. I decided to cook the mushrooms in my favorite way, to saute them along with some onions, garlic and thyme until they are nice and golden brown and caramelized. From there of course came adding the to a sandwich with some cheese for which I went with a mild cheese, mozzarella, so as to not steal the show from the mushrooms. I also happened to have some leftover prosciutto on hand and you can never go wrong by adding salty cured ham products to a grilled cheese sandwich. The mushroom and prosciutto grilled cheese sandwich, or the mushroom melt, turned out really well! The crispy, buttery, lightly toasted bread wrapping the ooey, gooey, melted cheese and caramelized mushrooms was amazing! These mushroom melt sandwiches certainly satisfied my mushroom cravings.
Mushroom and Prosciutto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 small onion (sliced)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons broth (or white wine)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped, optional)
- 2 slices bread
- 3 slices prosciutto (optional)
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and saute until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, deglaze the pan and saute until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix in the parsley.
- Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides.