I had a few sheets of phyllo dough left over which was perfect because I had been wanting to try making this recipe for mushroom and goat cheese strudel with balsamic syrup . With mushrooms, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar being some of my favorite things how could I not try this? The mushroom strudel was surprisingly easy to make especially considering how good the results were. The mushroom and goat cheese strudel was amazing! Of course I could not wait for it to cool so I got to enjoy the warm and tasty mushrooms mixed with the tangy just melting goats cheese all wrapped up in a light and flaky and yet crispy crust. The strudel was amazing all by itself but when you dipped it in the sweet and tangy balsamic syrup it really sent it over the top. I am looking forward to making this again.
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Strudel with Balsamic Syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 pound mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup dry Sherry
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 fresh phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and saute the mushrooms until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sherry vinegar and the sherry and simmer until the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Place one sheet of phyllo pastry down and brush with olive oil.
- Place the second sheet of phyllo pastry on the first and brush with olive oil.
- Place the second sheet of phyllo pastry on the second.
- Sprinkle the cheese along the edge of one of the long sides.
- Spoon the mushrooms on top of the cheese.
- Fold the short edges over about 1/2 inch thick.
- Roll the long edge to form a roll.
- Place the roll on a baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Brush the top of the pastry with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until golden brown, about 30-50 minutes.
- Simmer the balsamic vinegar and honey in a small sauce pan until they have reduced by half.
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Mushroom and Feta Phyllo Pie
Kolokithopita (Greek Zucchini Pie)
Agginaropita (Greek Artichoke Pie)
Apple and Cheddar Quiche
Galaktoboureko (Greek Custard Pie)
Chicken and Date Pastilla
Asparagus and Walnut Phyllo Pie (aka Asparagus Baklava) with Avgolemono Sauce
Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Sage
Strawberry Goat Cheese Banitsa
Lamb Exohiko (Lamb, Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Phyllo Parcels)
Fiddlehead and Gruyere Tart