I have really been into the Greek style spinach and feta combo with fresh herbs such as dill and mint ever since I discovered spanakopita, a Greek spinach pie . I have been remaking those flavours into various different dishes with one of my more recent creations being in the form of a spinach and feta lasagna that was a real hit. I have a fairly long list of different ways that I want to try using the spinach and feta combo and the next one on my list was quesadillas. Quesadillas are great for creating fusion dishes where all you have to do is fill them with the flavours and ingredients from another culture. At their base quesadillas are a crispy toasted tortillas with a cheesy filling and I figured that a spinach and feta filling would work in quesadilla form with a bit of cheese that melts well to hold everything together. For the recipe, I went with a simple spinach, feta and herb mixture and my first choice for the cheese that melts well would be a Greek one such as kasseri but you could easily use mozzarella or some monterrey jack. The spinach and feta quesadillas did not disappoint! The spinach, feta and herb filling was so good all wrapped in melted cheese and warm, crispy tortillas!
Spinach and Feta Quesadillas
Quesadillas inspired by the flavours of spanakopita, Greek spinach pie with spinach, fresh herbs, feta and plenty of melted cheese.
- 1/2 cup packed spinach, steamed and squeezed to drain
- 1 tablespoon herbs (a combination of mint, dill and parsley), chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 2 (8 inch) tortillas
- 1 cup handfuls kasseri or mozzarella, shredded
- Mix the spinach, herbs, green onions and feta in a bowl.
- Melt a touch of butter in a pan.
- Place a tortilla into the pan, swirl it around in the butter and repeat with the second tortilla.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on the tortilla followed by the filling, the remaining cheese and finally the other tortilla.
- Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side. (Tip: To easily flip the quesadilla place a plate onto the quesadilla in the pan and flip it from the pan to the plate and then slide it back into the pan.)
Spinach Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Greek Style Zucchini Fritters
Roast Asparagus and Caramelized Mushroom Quesadillas with Goat Cheese
Corn and Zucchini Quesadillas
Spinach and Feta Chicken Burgers (aka Spanakopita Burgers) with Grilled Halloumi, Roasted Red Peppers and a Spinach and Feta Sauce
Spinach and Feta Cheese Tortellini