With the hustle and bustle of the holidays it is always nice to be able to sit down and relax while having a nice warm home cooked breakfast. Lately I have been enjoying playing with omelettes which are always nice for a slow weekend breakfasts. I have also been thinking about the roasted butternut squash with caramelized onions, gorgonzola and crispy fried sage side dish ever since I made it and I thought that an omelet version would work out really well. Instead of roasting the butternut squash I was thinking that I could just add it to the pan after caramelizing the onions. Once the squash was tender I could add the sage and gorgonzola and let it start to melt before pouring in the eggs. A nice one pan omelette! The butternut squash and caramelized onion omelette with gorgonzola and sage turned out beautifully! The sweet caramelized onions and butternut squash went really well with the tangy gorgonzola and sage and the warm just set eggs wrapped everything up really quite nicely. Once again I was reminded of how amazing this flavour combination really is! While I was enjoying the omelette I was daydreaming about new flavour combinations that I would like to try in omelettes…
Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Omelette with Gorgonzola and Sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 small clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon sage (sliced)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Melt the butter in a no stick pan.
- Add the onions and slowly caramelize, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sage and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the butternut squash and saute until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Lower the heat and and sprinkle on the crumbled gorgonzola and let it melt just a bit.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and let them cook without disturbing them until they have set, about 2-4 minutes.
- Slide the omelette onto a plate and garnish it with more sage and enjoy.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza with Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Mushroom, Spinach and Feta Omelet
Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Mushroom and Thyme Omelette with Gorgonzola
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Omelette
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts
Pumpkin Gnocchi in a Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce