Of all the ideas that were running through my head about how to use the first of the bacon jam , the one that captured my imagination the most was of course a bacon jam grilled cheese sandwich! (Raise your hand if you knew this was coming.) Since bacon goes so well with cool and creamy avocados they were the obvious companion to the bacon jam in the grilled cheese sandwich but I wanted to add one more thing. With the word jam in the title and the bacon and avocado combo I kept thinking about breakfast sandwiches for some reason. The breakfast sandwich idea made me realize that this was the perfect opportunity to try something that I have been wanting to try for a long time, adding a fried egg to the inside of a grilled cheese sandwich!
The trick as I saw it, was going to be to cook the grilled cheese sandwich without breaking the egg yolk and without over cooking it because the runny yolk was the whole reason that the egg was there in the first place. It turned out to be much easier than expected and all that you need to do is be gentle with the sandwich, especially when flipping it and it will come out all right. I have to say that the combo of the smoky, sweet, salty and spicy bacon jam, the avocado and the egg with its runny yolk all wrapped up in the melted cheesy goodness of a grilled cheese is absolutely phenomenal! I am so addicted!
Note: If you are not a big fan of runny egg yolks, feel free to omit the egg and the bacon jam and avocado grilled cheese sandwich will still be amazing!
Just look at that amazing runny egg yolk!
Bacon Jam and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Fried Egg
A grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with sweet, salty, smoky and spicy bacon jam, cool and creamy avocado, a fried egg with runny yolk and plenty of ooey gooey melted cheese.
- 1/2 teaspoon bacon grease or butter (optional)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons bacon jam
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded, room temperature
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced, room temperature
- Heat the bacon grease in a pan over medium heat, add the egg and fry sunny side up, about 2-3 minutes ans set aside.
- Butter the outside side of each slice of bread, spread the bacon jam on the inside, place one slice in the pan buttered side down, sprinkle on half of the cheese, then top with avocado, fried egg and the remaining cheese followed by the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Chicken and Club Sandwich with Avocado and Chipotle Caramelized Onions
Avocado BLT with Fried Egg And Chipotle Mayo
Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon and Avocado
Bacon Jam Crostini with Melted Brie and Roasted Tomatoes
Bacon Jam and Guacamole Quesadilla with Fried Egg with Bacon Jam Vinaigrette Drizzle
Bacon and Fried Green Tomato Pimento Grilled Cheese
Bacon Jam Chicken Club Sandwich with Avocado and Chipotle Mayo
Grilled Asparagus with Bacon and Balsamic Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
Crispy Smashed Potato Pancakes with Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, Bacon and Eggs
Bacon and Avocado Monte Cristo Sandwich with Jalapeno Jelly