Up next we have another great way to enjoy some asparagus, topped with a simple bacon jam and creamy crumbled goat cheese! Bacon jam is a super tasty ‘jam’ that is made primarily of, you guessed it, bacon along with caramelized onions and various other flavour packed ingredients! I was thinking that some sweet and salty bacon jam would go perfectly on crisp and tender but still juicy and smokey grilled asparagus! I did not have any bacon jam in the fridge at the time so I made a simple version with bacon, an onion, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce that tastes just as great as the original and takes a fraction of the time! This grilled asparagus with bacon and balsamic caramelized onions and goat cheese is a great way of enjoying some
, I mean asparagus, and it’s sure to be the star of your summer meal!
Feel free to slice the asparagus into bite sized pieces and mix it up with the bacon and caramelized onions and goat cheese to serve it more as a salad.
Grilled Asparagus with Bacon and Balsamic Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese (aka Bacon Jam Asparagus)
Grilled asparagus topped with a simple bacon jam or bacon and balsamic caramelized onions and crumbled goat cheese.
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat, set aside on paper towels and drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan.
- Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until they are nice and tender and tender and just starting to caramelize, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the asparagus spears in the oil, salt and pepper and grill over medium-high heat until crisp-tender and slightly charred.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant about a minute.
- Add the bacon and the mixture of the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and cook until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the warm asparagus topped with bacon and balsamic caramelized onions and goat cheese.
Balsamic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes
Grilled Asparagus and Tomatoes in a Kalamata Olive and Feta Vinaigrette
Crispy Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Fries
Bacon Jam Breakfast Sandwich with Fried Egg and Avocado
Bacon Jam and Guacamole Quesadilla with Fried Egg with Bacon Jam Vinaigrette Drizzle
Bacon Jam and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Fried Egg
Caesar Grilled Asparagus
Grilled Asparagus with Marinated Roasted Red Peppers, Feta and Kalamata Olives
Grilled Asparagus in a Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
Tuscan Roast Asparagus
Asparagus Amandine (aka Asparagus Almondine)
Orange Sesame Roast Asparagus
Grilled Asparagus in Lemon Maple Tahini with Tomatoes and Cucumbers
Lemon and Feta Grilled Asparagus
Asparagus Bacon and Egg Salad
I would think that Bacon Jam would be good on a hamburger too!
Gabriel Bell says
@paperjunk-lc I agree with you and it will be amazing hamburger. But I can say that this recipe is brilliant, I tried it yesterday.
Thank you for sharing it!
This will be added to my growing file of asparagus recipes which will then be posted all through asparagus season which is in about a month's time now. Can't wait. No trimming needed, you can eat the asparagus raw straight from the field and consume every bit.
This is the third grilled asparagus recipe that I’ve tried from your blog in the past 2 weeks. All have been amazing! YOU are the grilled asparagus king! This was so delicious… my husband and I were in heaven! Thanks for another fantastic recipe!