During the summer I often enjoy a nice light meal for an on the go, active outdoors day, and fresh and summer-y sandwiches like this pesto smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich fit the bill perfectly. This sandwich is so quick and easy to make and it’s just packed with flavour! The base of the sandwich is chickpeas and avocado which are coarsely mashed and mixed with a tasty fresh basil pesto, onions and a hit of lemon juice for brightness. The sandwich is completed with some fresh baby spinach leaves and juicy slices of field tomatoes! I like these smashed chickpea and pesto avocado sandwiches for lunch, dinner, picnics, on the beach or pretty much anywhere!
Pesto Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
Prep Time:10 minutes Total Time:10 minutes Servings: 4
Smashed chickpea and avocado sandwiches with the fresh, bright and summer-y hit of fresh basil pesto!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons green or red onion, finely sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 8 slices bread (optionally lightly toasted)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach or arugula or other greens
- Smash/mash the chickpeas and avocado with a potato masher or a fork, mix in the pesto, onion, lime juice and salt to taste.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!