Summer is just full of amazing fresh produce and it’s great to take advantage of it all by preserving it in various ways so that you can enjoy using it for the rest of the year. Some nice ways to preserve fresh produce is by freezing it, canning it, making pickles and making jams or jellies. I always enjoy a nice homemade jam and this jalapeno jelly jelly is a favourite! I mean you really can’t really go wrong with a sweet and spicy jalapeno jam with a hint of sour and saltiness, especially for breakfast on toast! Yum! I like to use this hot pepper jelly on bagels with cream cheese, on pancakes and in sandwiches, not to mention by the spoonful, and I always like to have some on hand in my pantry or in the fridge!
What’s your favourite way to enjoy jalapeno jelly?
Sweet and spice jalapeno hot pepper jelly or jam!
- 1 pound jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound green bell peppers,
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces liquid fruit pectin
- Bring everything except the pectin to a boil in a large sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes
- Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stir in pectin and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly before removing from heat.
- Store in sealed containers in the fridge and use within a couple of months or use proper canning procedure to store at room temperature for longer periods of time.
Option: Slice, chop or even puree the peppers depending on your preferred texture!
Option: Use red jalapenos or other hot chili peppers for different flavour and heat level!