One of my favourite things of summer is strawberries and there’s little better than a fresh homemade jar of strawberry jam; well, unless it’s a strawberry basil jam! Strawberry jam is amazing all by itself but I also enjoy adding flavours like a hint of balsamic vinegar, jalapenos or a fresh herb. I am really into basil! It just really screams summer and it goes surprisingly well with strawberries adding that hint of flavour to the strawberry jam that just takes it over the edge. This strawberry basil jam is perfect for breakfast on toast, bagels, muffins, etc. and it’s just as good in savoury sandwiches or served over vanilla ice cream or even yogurt! The next time you are thinking about strawberry jam, consider a strawberry basil jam!
Strawberry Basil Jam
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:15 minutes Total Time:25 minutes Servings: 96(~6 cups or 96 1 tablespoon servings)
A fresh homemade strawberry jam with a hint of basil!
- 4 cups strawberries, cleaned, hulled, sliced or mashed
- 7 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 box pectin
- 1/4 cup basil, sliced or chopped
- Bring the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a boil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan.
- Mix in the pectin and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute, before removing from heat.
- Skin any foam off.
- Mix in the basil before poring into sterilized jars and storing in the fridge.
Option: Use proper canning procedure to store at room temperature or for longer periods of time.