When I picked up the green tomatoes for the fried green tomato BLT sandwiches that I made earlier in the week, I got a whole basket of them and I had a lot left over. Luckily I had found just the recipe to use some of them up in on Steamy Kitchen in the form of a green tomato and jalapeno jam . I had heard of chili pepper jams and jellies in the past and they always sounded so interesting and I had been wanting to try one out. With the extra green tomatoes that I had on hand it was to perfect time to make one. This jam kind of reminded me of a chutney with the garlic, ginger and cider and it promised to be good. The jam was pretty easy to make! I boiled the green tomatoes for a while so that I could peel them more easily and then I pureed the other ingredients and simmered everything until it thickened. The final result was really amazing! It was nice and sweet and yet at the same time savoury and of course there was a really nice heat to it! I am looking forward to experimenting with this green tomato and jalapeno jam.
Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
- 4 jalapenos (sliced)
- 1/2 cup herbs such as mint and cilantro (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 inch piece ginger (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pound green tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cups sugar
- Puree the jalapenos, herbs, garlic, ginger vinegar and soy sauce in a food processor.
- Place the mixture into a sauce pan and add the tomatoes and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens, about 45 minutes.
Chicken Baked in Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
Peanut Butter and Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam Sandwich
Roasted Acorn Squash with Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam