Ever since I discovered green tomatoes I have been hooked and in particular to fried green tomatoes! Unfortunately around here green tomatoes are usually only available for a few weeks at the end of the summer so when that time of year rolls around I make the most of it. Fried green tomatoes are so simple to make and yet so addictively good with that crispy cornmeal coating! You pretty much just need to soak the sliced green tomatoes in butter milk for a while, batter them up in a seasoned cornmeal mixture and then fry them until they are nice and golden brown. (With respect to frying them, oil would definitely be the healthier option but bacon grease would be the tastier way to go.) As good as they are by themselves, a tasty
remoulade sauce is always a tasty addition!
If you have not tried fried tomatillos yet, you need to! So good!
Buttermilk Marinated Fried Green Tomatoes
Tangy green tomatoes dipped in buttermilk and cornmeal and then fried until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- 2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper (or creole seasoning) to taste
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- Soak the tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side.
Fried Green Tomatoes with Shrimp Remoulade
Fried Green Tomatoes with Crab Remoulade
Fried Green Tomato and Shrimp Remoulade Po Boy
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Pimento Cheese
Blackened Shrimp and Fried Green Tomato Po Boy Salad