Sides are an important part of any meal and it seems that I have been neglecting them a bit as of late. Thanksgiving dinner was a helpful reminder and now I am getting back into the swing of things. There was a big sale on acorn squash recently and I picked up a bunch of them and they needed to be used. Squash makes for great side dishes and I normally cut it up into cubes or mash it. I had been wanting to try roasting an acorn squash half where the hollowed out middle was filled with something and with the green tomato and jalapeno jam on my mind I thought that it would be a perfect fit. This acorn squash side dish was really easy to make; you cut an acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds, fill it with the green tomato and jalapeno jam and roast it in the oven until it is tender. The roasted acorn squash with green tomato and jalapeno jam turned out really well! The sweet squash and the tangy and spicy jam was a great combo and it went well with the chicken baked in green tomato and jalapeno jam that I served it with. One of the things that I liked about cooking the acorn squash this way was the variety of ways to serve it. You can serve it as sliced or you can scoop all of the middles out and mash them up or if you’re lazy you can just eat it directly from the shell with a spoon.
Roasted Acorn Squash with Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
- 1 large or 2 small acorn squash (cut in half and scooped clean)
- 1/2 cup green tomato and jalapeno jam
- Place the acorn squash halves in a baking pan with the cut sides up.
- Spread the green tomato and jalapeno jam over the insides of the acorn squash.
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast in a reheated 400F/200C oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and roast until tender, about 30-45 minutes.