Acorn (or pepper) squash is an ingredient that I enjoy using in the fall and winter and this maple pecan roasted acorn squash recipe is one of my favourites! The squash are cut in half and the seeds are removed before they are stuffed with butter and maple syrup and roasted until tender! As a they roast you ‘baste’ the insides of the squash with the melted butter and syrup that is pooled up in them! The sweet maple syrup and salty butter flavours go so well with the sweet acorn squash! I like to eat these acorn squash boats with a spoon straight from the shells but it’s also nice to scoop out all of the flesh and mash it like mashed potatoes! One final touch is to add chopped toasted pecans which take this pepper squash to a whole new level!
Blue cheese is a nice addition!
I sometimes can’t resist adding bacon!
Maple Pecan Roasted Acorn Squash
Easy roasted acorn squash boats filled with buttery maple syrup and topped with crunchy toasted pecans!
- 2 acorn squash, cut in half and scooped/seeded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or brown sugar or honey)
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
- Place the squash halves on a baking sheet with the scooped holes facing up and divide the butter and maple syrup between the holes.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 40-50 minutes, basting the insides with the butter and syrup in the holes.
- Sprinkle on the toasted pecans and enjoy with a spoon!
Note: Baking time may vary depending on the size of the squash.
Option: Add 2 teaspoons white miso paste to the butter and maple syrup divided between the squash halves.
Option: Add 2 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese after baking!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons of cooked and crumbled bacon after baking!
Option: Scoop the flesh out of the skins, mash and enjoy like mashed potatoes!
Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash
Roasted Acorn Squash with Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
Roast Acorn Squash, Sweet Potato and Beet Kale and Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate in a Cilantro Lemon Tahini Dressing
Pepperoni Pizza Spaghetti Squash
Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Muffin Pan Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Gratins
Maple Pecan Melting Sweet Potatoes
Parmesan Garlic Miso Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes