Freshly bake cornbread is one of lives simple pleasures, especially when slathered with melting butter and honey! Homemade cornbread is so easy to make and better than any store bought! You start with some simple ingredients like cornmeal, flour, buttermilk, butter and eggs to which I like to add honey for a touch of sweetness. These cornbread muffins have jalapeno peppers for a bit of spicy heat and I like to add cheddar cheese for additional flavour! It only takes about 30 minutes to make these muffins and they are perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack! My only issue with these honey jalapeno cornbread muffins is trying to restrain myself from eating the entire batch when they are fresh from the oven!
Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Honey and butter cornbread with spicy jalapeno peppers!
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1+ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- Mix the buttermilk, butter, honey, and eggs.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in to the wet until just combined before mixing in the cheese and jalapenos.
- Pour the mixture into a greased muffin pan (or 9×5 inch loaf pan) and bake in a preheated 350F/180C/190C oven until a toothpick pushed in the center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.