April is grilled cheese month and I wanted to squeeze in at least one more grilled cheese sandwich. I am sure that a lot of you saw this coming but I had some of the amazingly good, sweet and spicy salsa naranja or orange salsa left and I pretty sure that it would make a fabulous grilled cheese sandwich! I have tried and enjoyed sweet grilled cheese sandwiches like the mango jam grilled cheese and I have tried and enjoyed spicy grilled cheese sandwiches like the buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich so I excited to try combining them in a sweet chili chicken grilled cheese! I started out with some of the leftover orange chicken bulgogi along with the orange salsa and the cheese and I added some extra fresh herbs in the form of basil and cilantro to keep with the Asian themes. I was not quite sure what to expect with this one but the results blew my mind; it was beyond all expectation! The Sweet and spicy orange salsa went so well with the plentiful mouth pleasing ooey gooey melted cheese and since the salsa is just packed with flavour so was the sandwich! The fresh herbs also worked really well in the grilled cheese and I will have to experiment with using them some more.
If you don’t want to go to all the trouble of making the orange bulgogi chicken and the salsa naranja, I am sure that a version with plain leftover chicken and a plain sweet chili sauce would also be good!
Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A tasty grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with tender bulgogi chicken, orange salsa and plenty of melted cheesy goodness.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or 1 slice), room temperature
- 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (or 1 slice), room temperature
- 1/4 cup cooked chicken (or orange chicken bulgogi), sliced or shredded, warm
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon loosely packed basil, torn
- 1 tablespoon loosely packed cilantro, torn
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until they start to caramelize, about 7-10 minutes.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan buttered side down, sprinkle on half of the cheese, then top with the onions, the chicken, salsa, sesame seeds, basil and cilantro and the remaining cheese followed by the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill in a pan, preheated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
Sweet Chili Chicken Rice Bowl
Calamari Tacos with Salsa Naranja
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Gyro Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka Gyro Melt)
Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla
Sweet Chili Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Chicken Gyro Grilled Cheese (aka The Gyro Melt)
Banh Mi Grilled Cheese
Skillet Sweet Chili Chicken
White BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Buddha Bowls