Up next for National Grilled Cheese month is a chicken gyro grilled cheese with all of the flavours of a chicken gyro! This is one really impressive grilled cheese containing chicken souvlaki , a Greek style grilled meat on a stick, tomato, onion, tzatziki, feta, and plenty of melted cheese, preferably a Greek melt-y cheese like kasseri. Normally gryos are made with meat that is roasted on a vertical spit but chicken souvlaki is easier to make at home and just as tasty; I mean your really cannot go wrong with grilled meat on a stick! When I had the opportunity to visit Greece a few years ago I had a few gyros and my favourite by far was a chicken one where there were roasted red peppers layered in between the chicken on the spit and since then I have always added roasted red peppers to my gyros and my gyro grilled cheese just had to have them! I have to say that this is one really tasty addition to my grilled cheese lineup and definitely worth the effort to make!
This is one grilled cheese sandwich that certainly eats like a meal, serve with a salad and lemon roasted potato wedges to complete it!
Chicken Gyro Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Gyro Melt)
A massive grilled cheese sandwich with all of the flavours of a gyro including grilled chicken souvlaki, roasted red pepper, tomato, onion, tzatziki, feta, and plenty of melted cheese.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup kasseri cheese (or mozzarella), shredded (or 2 slices), room temperature
- 1/4 cup chicken souvlaki, warm
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon tzatziki sauce (optional)
- 1/2 roasted red pepper (optional)
- 2 slices tomato
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the chicken souvlaki, feta, red onion, tzatziki, roasted red pepper, tomato, the remaining kasseri and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill in a pan, preheated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Option: Add sliced kalamata olives!
Chicken Souvlaki Salad
‘Souvlaki’ Chicken Salad Sandwich with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Moroccan Chicken Manchego Melt
Grilled Lamb Gyros
White BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Marie @ Little Kitchie says
Well hello sandwich perfection!
This looks absolutely fabulous Kevin! My favorite Mediterranean flavors. I too love the roasted pepper with this. What about a couple Kalamata olives? I will be making this!
Perfection! This sandwich is amazing in so many ways! Homemade gyros are my favorite!
I was thinking a lot regarding this topic, so thanks for bringing it up here. You certainly have a good writing style i like, so will be subscribing to your blog.
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
This sounds fantastic. I love gyros and putting it into grilled cheese form can be nothing but good.
Gerry @Foodness Gracious says
Lovely and a genius idea!
Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) says
My face just fell off.
Courtney @ Neighborfood says
Pardon me while I pick my jaw up off the floor….
Thaaaat's better. Now I can dig into this sandwich!
It does sound delicious Kevin.
This looks amazing. It would be a delicious entry in the Grilled Cheese Academy Recipe Showdown. http://GrilledCheeseAcademy.com