Up next for National Grilled Cheese month is a chicken gyro grilled cheese with all of the flavours of a chicken gyro! This is one really impressive grilled cheese containing chicken souvlaki , a Greek style grilled meat on a stick, tomato, onion, tzatziki, feta, and plenty of melted cheese, preferably a Greek melt-y cheese like kasseri. Normally gryos are made with meat that is roasted on a vertical spit but chicken souvlaki is easier to make at home and just as tasty; I mean your really cannot go wrong with grilled meat on a stick! When I had the opportunity to visit Greece a few years ago I had a few gyros and my favourite by far was a chicken one where there were roasted red peppers layered in between the chicken on the spit and since then I have always added roasted red peppers to my gyros and my gyro grilled cheese just had to have them! I have to say that this is one really tasty addition to my grilled cheese lineup and definitely worth the effort to make!
Update 2023/04/10: This is one of my all time favourite grilled cheese sandwiches that I make all the time! I was thinking that it would be nice to update the photos and add some new options! I like to fill these sandwiches with different ingredients, just like gyros can contain different ingredients. I have also added some meat options! I am a fan of the original recipes grilled chicken souvlaki, but vertical spit roast chicken shawarma, and skillet chicken gyro meat are also great options!
Chicken Gyros Grilled Cheese (aka The Gyro Melt)
A massive grilled cheese sandwich with all of the flavours of a gyro including grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, tzatziki, feta, and plenty of melted cheese.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup kasseri cheese (or mozzarella), shredded (or 2 slices), room temperature
- 1/4 cup chicken souvlaki (roast chicken shawarma or skillet chicken gyro), warm
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons tomato, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons cucumber, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon tzatziki sauce (optional)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the chicken souvlaki, feta, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, tzatziki, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill in a pan, preheated over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Option: Add sliced roasted red pepper!
Option: Add sliced kalamata olives!
Chicken Souvlaki Salad
‘Souvlaki’ Chicken Salad Sandwich with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Moroccan Chicken Manchego Melt
Grilled Lamb Gyros
White BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich