One of the best things about the summer is the ability to cook outside on the grill and I like to use the grill as often as possible! These grilled lamb gyros are a great way to do some of that outdoor cooking and they are so easy to make! Lamb chops are marinated in a souvlaki style lemon, garlic and oregano marinade before being grilled to smokey perfection. The lamb chops are then sliced and wrapped up in pitas along with a cool and creamy cucumber and garlic tzatziki sauce and a tasty tomato and olive greek salad with plenty of crumbled feta cheese and crispy fries. Yum! These tasty grilled lamb gyros are the perfect summer food to cook on the grill!
Grilled Lamb Gyros
Smokey Greek style grilled lamb gyros stuffed, fries, greek salad and cool and creamy tzatziki!
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb chops
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon yogurt (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pitas
- 1/2 cup tzatziki
- 1/2 cup greek salad, finely diced
- 1 cup fries
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
For the grilled lamb:
For the gyros:
- Marinate the lamb chops in the mixture of the oil, lemon, yogurt, garlic, salt and pepper, covered and in the fridge overnight.
- Cook over a grill heated to medium-high until slightly charred and cooked to your preferred level of doneness, about 2-5 minutes per side.
- Let the lamb cool for 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Assemble the gyros and enjoy!