This weekend is a summer holiday long weekend and a great time for enjoying some sunny out door weather along with plenty of tasty food like these bacon bbq chicken skewers! Grilled meat on a stick is one of the best things about summer and why not add some bacon to the mix? I mean, bacon makes everything better, right? For this grilled chicken I went with a simple homemade BBQ sauce with, you guessed it, bacon! There are also some caramelized onions and maple syrup for sweetness, cider vinegar for tang, soy sauce for saltiness and chipotle chili powder for a smokey heat. The sauce is processed in a food processor to break up the bacon and it’s best to let the sauce hang out in the fridge over night to let the bacon flavours infiltrate the sauce! Next up you simply marinate the meat in the bacon bbq sauce, skewer it and grill it up until slightly charred and good! Summer long weekends are always fun and you can make them even better with these bacon bbq chicken skewers!
Bacon BBQ Chicken Skewers
Grilled meat on a stick never had it any better than this; grilled chicken slathered in a bacon bbq sauce!
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- Cook the bacon and set it aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and caramelize.
- Add the garlic and chipotle chili powder and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Puree everything except the chicken in a food processor.
- Mix the chicken into half of the BBQ sauce and optionally marinate for 30 minutes to over night.
- Skewer the chicken and grill over medium-high heat until slightly charred and cooked, about 2-5 minutes per side.
Tip: Make the BBQ sauce ahead of time.
Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce
Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Sauce
Raspberry Balsamic Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam
Maple Bourbon Bacon and Pecan Butter Tarts
Maple Candied Bacon
Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
Dakkochi (Korean Grilled Chicken Skewers)
Moroccan Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers
Yakitori (Japanese Grilled Chicken Skewers)
Pesto Grilled Chicken, Zucchini and Tomato Skewers
Peri Peri Grilled Chicken Skewers