If you can put nuts, raisins and even chocolate in butter tarts then why not my absolute favourite food, bacon? It was that idle thought that led to these bacon and pecan butter tarts and I have to say that the sweet and salty combo is amazingly fantastic in them! In addition to the sweet and salty aspects the bacon adds a nice subtle hint of smokiness to the tarts which makes them that much better! If you are a fan of bacon and butter tarts or pecan pie then you just have to try these bacon and pecan butter tarts!
I sometimes like to make butter tarts in larger pans!
Bacon and Pecan Butter Tarts
Buttery tarts with crispy all butter pastry shells filled with a sweet maple custard, pecans and bacon.
- 1 pie crust pastry, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Roll the pastry out to 1/8 inch thick and cut out 12 4-5 inch circles, pressing them into the holes in a muffin baking pan (greased or no-stick).
- Chill the muffin pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the egg, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, vanilla extract, salt, pecans and bacon and pour the mixture into the tarts.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven and bake until set, about 15-25 minutes.
Note: Only fill the tarts about 3/4 full as the filling will expand when baking and if the filling goes over the edges the tarts will be difficult to remove from the pan.
Chocolate and Pecan Butter Tarts
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
Bacon Maple Shortbread
Bacon Gingersnap Cookies
Maple Pecan Pie
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Bacon BBQ Chicken Skewers
Slow Cooker Pecan Pie
Pecan Pie Cheesecake with Pecan Caramel Sauce
Butter Tart Cheesecake
Butter Pecan Cookies
Merry Christmas, Kevin !!
NotesFromAbroad: Thanks and Merry Christmas to you!
I assume the bourbon goes directly into your mouth?
Lorinda McKinnon says
Wait, wait, I see no bourbon! Awesome recipe, but . . . bourbon? Maybe I could dunk them . . .
Tarts stuck in the pan so ruined. If your going to do this recipe buy tart shells or spray pan. I used a heap of ingredients & wound up with nothing but a huge mess
That can happen when there is too much filling in the tart shells; the filling boils over the edges and sticks to the pan. Try to not fill the tart shells more than 1/2 to 3/4 full.
You’re a genius Kevin, mixing 2 of my favs together in one awesome butter tart. Gotta’ try your recipe for sure. Thank YOU for sharing it. 😀