I recently came across some recipes for Monterey chicken on Pinterest and it looked so good that I had to try it! I can’t say that I have ever been to a Chili’s Restaurant and apparently this is a copycat recipe for Chili’s Monterey chicken. You really just can’t go wrong with pan seared chicken smothered in BBQ sauce and melted cheese with a sprinkling of bacon and fresh diced tomatoes and it was only natural that I had to try to make it myself! This recipe is super easy! You simply cook the chicken in a pan, add some BBQ sauce, along with some chicken broth to get a nice sauce, before sprinkling on the cheese and transferring to the oven to bake until the cheese has melted! Once it’s done you add the bacon and fresh tomatoes and you have a tasty meal in less than 30 minutes, which is plenty of time to steam a veggie (or make a salad) and cook some rice or pasta!
Pan seared chicken smothered in BQQ sauce and topped with melted cheese, bacon, and tomatoes!
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast (or thighs), pounded thin (or butterflied)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy before setting aside and draining off most of the grease, saving only enough to cook the chicken in.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until light lightly golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Bast the chicken with the BBQ sauce and mixt the remaining sauce with the broth and pouring the mixture into the pan.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and bake in a pre-heated 400F/200C oven until the cheese has melted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the bacon, tomatoes and green onions and enjoy by itself or served over pasta, rice, etc.
Option: Use Colby Jack cheese instead of the Monterrey jack and cheddar!
Creamy Bacon Honey Dijon Skillet Chicken
Bacon BBQ Chicken Skewers
Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken
Broccoli and Bacon Chicken Alfredo Linguine
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Club Sandwich with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Bacon Jam Chicken Club Sandwich with Avocado and Chipotle Mayo
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
Easy Baked Honey Dijon Chicken
Balsamic Maple Dijon Chicken with Bacon Sauce