After making the spinach and artichoke dip soup I could not help but think that it would also make an amazing pasta, and I hardly need an excuse to fit more of that fantastic dip into my meals! For this pasta I started with mac and cheese style sauce except instead of using cheddar I went with spinach and artichoke dip flavours including cream cheese, parmesan and mozzarella. With the tasty cheese sauce made all that was left was to add the spinach and artichokes to complete the pasta. (I like to go with fresh chopped baby spinach but frozen spinach would also work and it’s pantry friendly.) This spinach and artichoke pasta comes together in less than 30 minutes making it a perfect weeknight meal and it’s so addictively good! (ps. No, I didn’t forget the bacon, scroll down a bit!)
Nice and creamy!
Of course bacon makes this pasta even better!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pasta
All of the flavours of spinach and artichoke dip in the form of a pasta!
- 8 ounces penne (gluten free for gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour (rice flour or masa harina for gluten free)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start cooking your pasta as directed on the package.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add the milk and cook while stirring until it thickens up, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and cook while stirring until they melt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and spinach and cook while stirring until the spinach wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat and enjoy.
Option: For One-Pan: Make this a one-pan meal by adding 8 ounces of pasta and 2 1/4 cups broth or water (or 1 cup of rice and 2 cups broth or water) to the sauce in step 5 and simmer, covered, until cooked, about 12 minutes (or 20 minutes for rice).
Option: Add bacon or sundried tomatoes, chicken, tuna etc.
Option: Add red pepper flakes, hot sauce or cayenne for some heat.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
Artichoke and Spinach Frittata
Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna) with Greens
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Creamy Lemon Grilled Chicken, Asparagus and Artichoke Pasta
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Egg Muffins
Avocado Spinach and Artichoke Dip