I have had the idea of using the flavour combo of butternut squash, mushrooms, kale and possibly Italian turkey sausage in a recipe for a couple of weeks but I could never really decide what to use them in and I never really had the time to think about it. Now that things have calmed down a bit I finally got to thinking about it and although my initial idea to use them in a quinoa salad sounded good I was looking for something a little different and a frittata sounded perfect! A frittata is an egg dish similar to a quiche except that it does not have a crust and it is cooked on the stove top until the eggs have set on the bottom before being transferred to the oven to finish baking. Frittatas can be filled with pretty much anything and I was thinking that the butternut squash, mushrooms, kale and sausage combo would be a great one! Even though this frittata takes a bit of time time make everything is pretty straight forward and easy and the final result is well worth the effort!
Just look at those big chunks of butternut squash and mushrooms!
Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Kale and Sausage Frittata
A frittata packed full with Italian sausage, butternut squash, mushrooms, kale and gruyere.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (omit for vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup kale, torn into bit sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the Italian sausage over medium-high heat in a pan and set aside.
- Add the oil and butternut squash to the pan, cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, and set aside.
- Add the oil, onion and mushrooms and cook until the onions are tender and the mushrooms are browned, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the kale and saute until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix everything in a large bowl, pour it back into the pan and cook over medium heat until the eggs are almost set, about 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a preheated 400F/200C oven and bake until the eggs have set, about 10 minutes.
Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Sage
Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Frittata topped with Marinara and Mozzarella
Artichoke and Spinach Frittata
Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Frittata)
Kale, Butternut Squash and Mushroom Miso Soup
Chipotle Roasted Pumpkin, Mushroom and Kale Quesadillas with Chipotle Pumpkin Crema and Kale Salsa