Soups are among my favourite fall foods especially when they use butternut squash! This is a super simple soup with with butternut squash, spicy Italian sausage, bell pepper, beans, tomatoes and a hit of parmesan cheese. The butternut squash is cut into bite sized cubes and simmered in the broth until tender at which point half of it is pureed, along with some white beans, so you get a thick, smooth and creamy broth in addition to the large cubes of butternut squash! The Italian sausage and parmesan cheese add ton of savoury flavour which goes amazingly well with the sweet squash. If you are looking for a hearty soup to enjoy this fall you really can’t go wrong with this tasty Italian sausage butternut squash soup!
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
A hearty fall soup with butternut squash and Italian sausage.
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash (~2-3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat until cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks, before setting aside and draining all but 1 tablespoon of grease from the pan.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, white beans, tomatoes and butternut squash, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is just tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Puree half of the soup with a stick/hand blender or in a food processor or blender.
- Add the sausage and parmesan and cook until the cheese has melted before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: If your sausage has a really mild flavour, feel free to add a pinch of ground fennel and red pepper flakes along with the garlic.
Option: Garnish with pepitas and/or toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped parsley, parmesan cheese, crispy fried sage, bacon, cream, chili oil, etc.
Option: Add baby spinach or kale!
Option: Add a pinch of nutmeg.
Option: For a thicker broth, use 1 less cup of chicken broth.
Pumpkin and Chorizo Soup with Cilantro
Minestrone Soup with Sausage and Squash
Roasted Pumpkin, Pancetta and Sage Soup
Thai Pumpkin Soup
Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Tortellini
Kale, Butternut Squash and Mushroom Miso Soup
Butternut Squash and Feta Gratin
Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Kale and Sausage Frittata