I had been wanting to make minestrone soup for a while when I came across this version which looked really good. This minestrone soup included sausage, squash and a ton of fresh herbs. I knew that I would use spicy Italian sausage and I though that the sweet butternut squash would go nicely with the sausage. The minestrone soup turned out really good! It was full of flavour and super tasty. The spicy Italian sausage and the red pepper flakes gave the soup a nice heat. I enjoyed the ministrone soup with this cheesy garlic toast.
Minestrone Soup with Sausage and Squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 8 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can diced plum tomatoes
- 2 19 ounce can cannelloni beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 pound butternut squash (peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 6 sage leaves (chopped)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound small rigatoni
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- Brown the Italian sausage in a large stock pot and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, cannelloni beans, squash, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, parmigiano reggiano rind. salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook the rigatoni while the soup is simmering.
- Add the rigatoni and parsley and turn off the heat.
Spinach, White Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup
White Bean and Kale Soup with Turkey Sausage
Beth G. says
That looks yummy! I am home sick today and wish I had some of that!
Now THAT’S the way to make minestrone! Perfect ingredients, Kevin 🙂
I bet it was delicious.
Peter M says
Kevin, give me a big bowl of your Minestrone and call it dinner.
Cookie baker Lynn says
This looks like a perfect winter supper. Add garlic toast and I’d be in heaven.
Hi Kevin! Happy 2008! How you keep up your blog is just amazing. I started a new job in October and the energy it has consumed took time away from my blog. But I hope to start posting again very soon! I do hope all is well with you and I look forward to reading more about your cooking adventures.
This looks perfect for the cold weather. I love that rigatoni sticking out there. Nice and al dente. I like that the pasta and sausage adds bulk, and makes it really filling.
Minestrone is such a soothing soup; one I haven’t made in a long while.
JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says
Yum, sausage and squash are great together!
Laurie Constantino says
I’m with Jenn – sausage and squash are a really great combination. Your soup looks yumlicious!
Minestrone – my fav western soup!
That is a gorgeous soup! Now I have to check out the quesadilla…
Ruth Daniels says
Great dish, thanks so much for sharing with PResto Pasta Nights. This is one perfect dish for the current weather here in Halifax….bone chilling cold!
Bethany Schlegel says
This soup is amazing. I make it all the time. Thank you.