Looking for a tasty new side dish for a special meal like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? How about this butternut squash and feta gratin? It’s so easy to make! You pretty much just need to peel, seed and dice the butternut squash, mix everything, throw it in a dish in the oven and bake! I am totally enchanted by the sweet and salty combo of the melt in your mouth, creamy, butternut squash and the feta cheese and those little bits of browned feta cheese on the top are the best part! This butternut squash and feta gratin is the perfect side dish for any meal and it also makes for a nice light main!
Butternut Squash and Feta Gratin
A sweet and salty, melton your mouth butternut squash gratin with penny of feta!
- 6 cups butternut squash (or pumpkin, kabocha, etc.), peeled, seeded and cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything, place in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the butternut squash is tender, the top is lightly golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 30-40 minutes.
Option: Add a pinch of nutmeg.
Option: Replace the feta with another cheese like parmesan, gruyere, cheddar, etc.
Option: Use a bechamel sauce instead of a heavy cream sauce.
Pancetta and Porcini Potato Gratin
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Gratin
Jalapeno Popper Potato Gratin
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Spaghetti Squash and Chard Gratin
Ham and Eggs au Gratin
Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage