Having decided to go with goat cheese mashed potatoes as the first side for my roast beef dinner I had go with a healthier vegetable dish as the second side and I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I had come across this recipe for a spaghetti squash and chard gratin on Kalyn’s Kitchen not too long ago and it sounded really tasty in addition to being healthy. Spaghetti squash and chard are two vegetables that I do not use often enough and with the spaghetti squash in season now it was the perfect time to try this gratin. In addition to the vegetables there is of course some cheese in the form of some parmigiano reggiano and there is also a touch of sour cream for some extra creaminess. I was a bit surprised by the use of the cottage cheese but I really liked the sound of it being in there. With having to roast the spaghetti squash before baking the gratin this dish takes a bit of oven time so you will have to plan accordingly when making it. Other than the time it takes it is really easy to make and so worth making. The spaghetti squash and chard gratin was nice and light and moist and full of flavour. This recipe definitely makes a lot but the leftovers have certainly been the highlight of my leftover lunches so far this week. I have a feeling that this gratin will be making a regular appearance during squash season.
Spaghetti Squash and Chard Gratin
- 1 spaghetti squash (cut in half lengthwise and scooped clean)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 bunch chard (rinsed and cut into 1 inch thick slices)
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- Roast the spaghetti squash halves in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 1 hour.
- Scoop the strands out of the skin.
- While the squash is cooking heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chard and saute until it has wilted, just a few minutes.
- Mix the squash, chard, green onions, egg, sour cream, cottage cheese, parmigiano reggiano, salt and pepper and pour it into a baking dish.
- Top with the parmigiano reggiano.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 30-40 minutes.