I can’t believe that the Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend already! If you are looking for some side dish recipe ideas for Thanksgiving, or any meal for that matter, these tasty asiago roasted onions are perfect! This is basically an au gratin dish where the veggie is onions rather than the more normal potatoes. You start by slicing some onions into discs, about a 1/4 inch thick, and you lay them down, whole and flat, in a baking dish to pre-roast a bit to tenderize them before pouring on a cream and cheese mixture and sprinkling on even more cheese and roasting it again The onions are roasted until they are so nice and tender and their natural sweetness and pungency nicely complements the creamy cheese sauce for a flavour explosion in your mouth!
These are also great with parmigiano reggiano, aka parmesan roast onions!
This onion gratin is simply fabulous!
Asiago Roasted Onions
Sweet and tender roasted onions in a cream asiago sauce covered in meted cheese!
- 4 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of asiago cheese, grated
- Place the slices of onion in a single layer on the bottom of a greased baking dish, drizzle with oil and season with thyme, salt and pepper before roasting in a preheated 450F/230C oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the heavy cream in a small sauce pan until it starts to simmer, mix in the mustard and half of the cheese, let the cheese melt pour it over the onions before sprinkling on the remaining cheese.
- Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes. (The onions will be tender, the cheese melted and the sides bubbling when it is done.)
Option: Replace the asiago cheese with parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), or grana padano cheese, etc.
Butternut Squash and Feta Gratin
Potatoes au Gratin
Hot Sweet Onions Dip
Herb Roasted Onions
Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Bacon, Mustard Cream and a Parmesan Crust
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Gratin
Creamy Asiago Bacon Wrapped Roasted Onions
Slow Cooker Chipotle Maple Onion Jam
Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash